Public Information Requests

The Records Clerk is responsible for processing the criminal complaints created by the Fruitland Police Department. These consist of arrests, citations, complaints and dispositions.

The Idaho Open Records Law gives you the right to request any document or electronic record created and maintained by the Fruitland Police Department. There are restrictions on what information can be released.

Law enforcement records are different than other public records.

  • Any open, ongoing investigation must be completed before any records about the incident can be released.
  • Release of information must not jeopardize a person's right to a fair trial.

Idaho law restricts release of some types of information. For example, records about matters under investigation or that show law enforcement investigative techniques cannot be disclosed. In general, inmates and former inmates cannot receive records about themselves.

For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-124.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request report copies? Complete the Public Information Request Form and submit to the Fruitland Police Department Records Desk at 200 S. Whitley Drive or mail to: Fruitland Police Department, P.O. Box 324, Fruitland, Idaho 83619. Be very specific about the information you are requesting. If it is a record on an individual, complete names are required with dates of birth to insure the correct record is provided.

How do I get a copy of a traffic accident report? Traffic accident reports are released to individuals involved in the accident upon request, as long as the accident did not involve serious injury or death, which would require further investigation.

Will I be charged for copies of the information I request? The city of Fruitland has a fee schedule for large records requests. You will be notified what costs, if any, you would be required to pay. For more details see Fruitland City Code: 1-7-6: DOCUMENTS AND COPIES; FEES.

Are there restrictions on how I can use the information I receive? Generally, usage for any type of mailing, electronic or telephone list is against the law. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-120.

How long will it take to get the records I request? Idaho law allows 3 to 10 business days for the police department to respond to your request. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-103.

How will I know if my request has been granted or denied? If your public information request is approved, the requested documents will be mailed to at the address provided. If your request is denied, you will receive a letter explaining the reason for the denial. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-103.

Can I appeal if my request is denied? Yes. A petition must be filed within 180 days of the date that the denial letter is mailed. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-115.

Where can I get fingerprinted? You can have a fingerprint card completed for civil purposes at the Fruitland Police Department Records desk.

Is there a fee for fingerprints? The fee is $25.00 with the following exceptions: Citizens residing within Fruitland city limits; Employees of the Fruitland School District as a requirement of their employment; Job applicants for the Fruitland School District; Employees of the City of Fruitland authorized by a supervisor or department head.

For further information, contact the Fruitland Police Department at (208) 452-3001.